Brochure Factsheet Cape Weligama
This magnificent resort, which is part of the Relais & Chateaux portfolio, inhabits twelve tropical acres atop a singular promontory above the Indian Ocean on Sri Lanka’s southern coast, just thirty minutes east of Galle.
A collection of Villas & Suites; offering 39 bedrooms in all, create the welcoming illusion of a traditional Sri Lankan village. Yet beneath local terracotta-tiled rooftops, stylish interiors unfold as generously sized contemporary living quarters between 130m2 and 310m2, each one surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The Suites are in groups of four and can interconnect, ideally suiting families or friends travelling together. The Villas are set within eight stone ringed gardens, with each garden comprising of two to three freestanding Villas and a 15m swimming pool. All accommodations enjoy dining areas and spa facilities.
While a diverse range of activities are on offer, from scuba diving to surfing lessons and lake kayaking to rice paddy bicycling, you may find the greatest pleasure in simply unwinding on your private shaded terrace. The crescent-shaped infinity Moon Pool curves expansively around the cape’s edge, taking in sweeping, 270-degree blue views.
A gourmet paradise, Cape Weligama pays homage to its location with the day’s freshest catch cooked to order in the Ocean Terrace. Or sample Sri Lanka’s iconic local dishes. The cliff edge Tableau Chefs Table is Cape’s signature dining experience with daily changing menus. The Cape Club provides a relaxed, yet refined, venue for traditional afternoon cream tea, as well as to linger over sunset cocktails and after dinner nightcaps
under the stars.
Accommodation at Cape Weligama is in 23 Villas and 16 Suites. 39 rooms in all.
The Villas are set within eight stone ringed gardens in the upper part of the resort. Each garden comprises two to three freestanding Villas plus a 15-metre swimming pool. Imagine the intimacy of a boutique villa offering the benefits of a larger, world-class resort.
The Villas sit in eight gardens, named for a distinguished explorer or writer whose historic Ceylon journey captures the spirit of Cape Weligama.
ERNST HAECKEL - ROBERT KNOX - MARCO POLO - KING VIJAYA - IBN BATTUTA
- FA-HSIEN - JORIS VAN SPILBERGEN - SAMUEL BAKER
• 6 x Ocean Villa - 130m2 king bed, verandah
• 8 x Premier Ocean Villa - 180m2 king bed, large verandah
• 3 x Prestige Ocean Villa - 180m2 king bed, living room, bathroom, large verandah.
• 3 x Grand Ocean Villa - 200m2 king bed, living room, large verandah
• 3 x Ocean Pool Villa (upper floor) – 130m2 king bed, living deck, 15 x 4m pool
The Suites are situated around the Cove Pool in the lower part of the resort with partial sea views. They are especially well suited to families or friends travelling together, seeking the beach villa experience for which southern Sri Lanka has become synonymous, with the added amenities and activities of a five-star resort.
The Suites are in sets of four in two storey units, each named after a writer/poet of old Ceylon. There are two Suites on each floor, which can be interconnected via the verandah.
ARTHUR C CLARKE - PABLO NERUDA - JAMES EMERSON TENNENT - LEONARD
• 8 x Pool View Junior Suites - 130m2 2 Queen beds (can be connected to make a Super King), verandah for living and dining
• 8 x Pool View Master Suites - 150 m2 King bed, verandah for living and dining
Three main dining venues offer distinct experiences. Or dine on your generous veranda. Wake up to breakfast just footsteps from bed on your own sea-facing gardenfringed veranda or savour an intimate private poolside barbecue amongst family and friends, bathed by the silvery light of the moon.
• The Ocean Terrace enjoys stunning views of the bay and the setting sun. It is a majestic venue for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The open-fronted restaurant is perfect for indulging in beautiful cuisine whilst watching the gentle swell of the sea.
• On the cliff edge is Tableau Chefs Table where our culinary team curate daily changing dinner menus emphasising the freshness of seasonal produce and balancing natural flavours, while taking you on a journey of sensory discovery.
• The Cape Club serves a Ceylon Afternoon Cream Tea and signature pre-dinner canapés and aperitifs.
• The Surf Bar oversees a pristine bay famed for drawing in seasoned surfers from around the world. A casual, eclectic food menu is served with beautifully handcrafted cocktails to sip as you marvel at the beauty of the ocean or catch your favourite sporting event at the bar.
• All Villas & Suites have dining tables on generous terraces where meals could be served.
• A breathtaking crescent-shaped infinity Moon Pool curving 60m around the cape’s summit drinks in every inch of the spectacular 270- degree coastal views. It’s equally resplendent at night when the pool’s inky surface reflects the stars and the bright luminescence of the moon.
• The generous Cove Pool, close to the Suites, meanders around an integrated 20m-lap pool, and is ideal for kids.
• Also under the pool is a Cybex equipped air-conditioned gym for keeping in shape after overindulging on the resort’s mouth-watering cuisine.
• Electric buggies convey guests around the resort if they prefer not to walk.
• There are two adjacent public beaches. West Beach is accessed via a specially built cliff staircase. East Beach is next to the Adventure Centre, a 5-minute walk from the resort. A reef provides safe swimming conditions.
• The Adventure Centre is staffed by professionals and is the embarkation point for all land and water-based activities. Offering first-rate PADI dive courses and exciting dives, other activities include private cruises, big game fishing, seasonal whale and dolphin-watching trips and banana boating.
The Sanctuary Spa features organic home grown Sri Lankan spice scrubs made from clove, nutmeg, sweet orange and sandalwood relieve stress and naturally attend to travel weary muscles while bespoke, essential oil massage blends incorporate Ceylon tea, renowned for its antioxidant, anti-ageing and calming properties. Unwind with a blissful massage or with a fragrant scrub followed by an invigorating herbal steam
ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Postcard perfect beaches, gently breaking waves and a kaleidoscopic underwater landscape sprinkled with historic wrecks, Sri Lanka’s southern coastline does not lack for magnetic charms. Swim and snorkel in the aquamarine bay beneath Cape Weligama. Explore neighbouring coves by kayak or learn to surf on Weligama’s legendary curls.
Away from this idyllic coastline, explore Sri Lanka’s lush rural hinterland of sleepy villages, paddy fields, meandering lagoons and ancient temples by guided bicycle ride. Take a boat or kayak out on nearby Koggala Lake, its tranquil lagoon edged by fragrant cinnamon gardens and tropical wildlife.
For adventures further afield, must see destinations include Mirissa’s vibrant boat harbour, Matara’s crumbling ruins and the historic Galle Fort where cobbled streets encased in coral and granite walls reveal ochre washed colonnaded houses, colonial churches, and renowned jewellery boutiques. Elephants, sloth bears & crocodiles may be spotted on day trips to the Uda Walawe national park.
• 1 infant (up to 2 years) and 1 child (2 – 12 years) can be accommodated in a room sharing with parents, one rollaway bed and a baby cot can be provided.
• If parents would like to accommodate children in a separate room, a combination of a Junior and Master Suite are recommended. These rooms can be interconnected.
• In a Junior Suite up to 4 children can be accommodated on twin Queen beds.
• The Cove Pool is especially designed for families with children below the age of 12 years.
• The Moon Pool is reserved for guests aged 12 years and above.
DIFFERENTLY ABLED ACCESS
2 rooms offer facilities for wheelchair access.
Due to the limited number of rooms at Cape Weligama, we require a 30% payment when booking and the balance one month in advance of arrival. During peak period, 30% non-refundable deposit when booking, balance 60 days in advance of arrival. A booking of four rooms or more requires a 50% non-refundable deposit when booking and balance 90 days in advance of arrival.
Within 30 days of arrival 30% of full stay charge, within 14 days 50%, within 7 days 100%. During peak period, within 45 days 50% of full stay charge, within 30 days of arrival 100%, four or more rooms booking within 60 days 100%.
HOW TO GET TO CAPE WELIGAMA
Thanks to the scenic Southern Highway, Cape Weligama is only about two hours away from Colombo. A scheduled seaplane service operates from Colombo and a charter seaplane service connects Tea Trails and Cape Weligama.
Distances - Colombo Airport 190km 3 hours, Colombo 150km 2 hours, Galle 24km 30 minutes, Kandy 250km 4.5 hours, Tea Trails 200km 4 hours
Via the Southern Highway E01
• Take Kokmaduwa highway exit to B465 to Weligama.
• Travel 5km to Weligama town.
• At Weligama, take the Galle/Matara Road towards Galle, travelling West.
• Pass Taprobane Island in the Weligama Bay on your left and travel approx. 2km.
• Turn left onto Abimanagama Road, at the 141km post.
• Travel uphill on Abimanagama Road for 500m to reach Cape Weligama.
From Galle on the Galle/Matara road
• Travel on the Matara Road towards Weligama.
• As a guide, the Cape Weligama turnoff is 10km from the Koggala airstrip.
• At the 141km post, as you enter the Weligama town limits and 2km before the Weligama Bay, turn right onto Abimanagama Road.
• Travel uphill on Abimanagama Road for 500m to reach Cape Weligama.
Abimanagama Road, Weligama, Sri Lanka
Phone (+94 41) 225 3000, Fax 225 3100